Air quality education resources
Air quality education resources for teachers and school support staff. This page will continue to fill with healthier air lesson plans and campaign materials for teachers and school staff. Ideal for use in lessons linked to Geography, Science, English and History, as well as School eco-team or school council projects.
Air quality resources produced by Leicester City Council
- Introduction and teacher information (word)
- Air quality education activities overview (word)
- Making a clean air plan for your school (word)
- Useful links (word)
NEW! Air quality activities for the classroom and the kitchen
Air Quality Education is no longer just for school, since being sent home we’ve been busy working away to find you some practical and theoretical activities that can be undertaken anywhere, with minimal resources – and using what you find around the home or classroom. All activities and resources have been found online, or are our own creations, so if you have an internet connection, you can download and use them. The best bit – they are all FREE!
Activities have been grouped under their appropriate key stage (KS). Some activities are cross-key stage, so feel free to use them as you see fit. Each activity or lesson has been chosen to cover a different aspect of the Leicester City Council’s Air Quality Education programme.
- Identifying air pollution sources
- Discovering the impact of poor air quality to health and the environment; and
- Taking action to improve air quality.
NEW! Quick challenge activities
A series of games and activities suitable across key stages, for pairs or groups of children. A great way to assess learning at the end of an air quality lesson or project, or as a reminder at the start of a new lesson.
- Be bright be seen KS1 (ppt 1.79 kb)
- Introduction to air pollution KS1 - 2 (ppt 4.35 kb)
- Switch off your engine KS1 - 2 (ppt 3.23 kb)
Workshops, lessons and lesson plans
- Workshop: introduction to air quality (KS1-3)
- UPDATED! Lesson: Fossil fuels: Energy Explorers - What is a fossil fuel? (KS1-2)
- Lesson: Fossil fuels: Energy Explorers - What is renewable energy? (KS2)
- Lesson: Air pollution: Past and present (KS2)
- Lesson: Air pollution, living things and the environment (KS2)
- Lesson: Air pollutants and their impact - where does pollution come from? (KS3/4)
- Lesson: Why buy an electric vehicle? (KS3/4)
- Why buy an electric car (ppt)
- Why buy an electric car lesson plan (word)
- Why buy an electric car resources (word)
- Research activity tables for comparing vehicles (word)
- Car brochures
- Lesson: How do we monitor air quality?(KS3/4)
- Lesson: Behind the headlines: can we work out which are reliable? (KS3/4)
- Behind the headlines presentation (ppt)
- Behind the headlines lesson plan (word)
- Behind the headlines research question (word)
- Behind the headlines story 1 (word)
- Behind the headlines story 2 (word)
- Behind the headlines story 3 (word)
- Behind the headlines story 4 (word)
- Behind the headlines story 5 (word)
- Lesson: How do we improve air quality? (KS3/4)
- Practical: Lichen study
- Air quality education resources available from other organisations (please note we do not specifically endorse any of these)
Please consider the environment.