This section contains advice, guidance and procedures to follow for the appointment of the Authority Governor and Staff and Parent Governor elections, together with general governor recruitment materials.
- Constitution of governing bodies
- Election of parent governors
- Election of staff governors
- Authority governors nomination procedure and application form
- Co-opted governor appointments
- General recruitment materials
- Mandatory DBS checks for governors
- Section 128 checks for new governors
Induction and Safeguarding Training
All new governors are strongly recommended to undertake induction training so that they understand their key roles and can make a valuable contribution. They should also be provided with school/governing board specific induction too.
In addition to induction training, the Department for Education, through its statutory ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ guidance September 2022 now requires governors to undertake safeguarding training as part of their induction. Safeguarding training for governors should provide governors and trustees with the knowledge to provide strategic challenge in relation to safeguarding – this would include safeguarding data, policies, and procedures and will also need to be regularly updated.
Induction and safeguarding Governor training can be accessed through a variety of providers:
Leicester City Council
- Learning Link E-Learning Modules (for subscribing schools)
- Leicester and Leicestershire Teaching School Hub (LeLTSH)
Visit our training and development section for further details and how to book.
Please consider the environment.