Privacy notice for governors
Under data protection law, individuals have a right to be informed about how Leicester City Council uses any personal data that we hold about them. We comply with this right by providing ‘privacy notices’ to individuals where we are processing their personal data.
This privacy notice explains how we collect, store and use personal data about Governors.
An electronic copy of this privacy notice can be found via the link below:
Leicester City Council is the ‘data controller’ for the purposes of data protection law. You can contact the Council’s data protection officer for more information (see ‘Contact us’ below).
The personal data we hold
Personal data that we may collect, use, store and share (when appropriate) about governors includes, but is not restricted to:
- Current and previous contact details – title, name(s), address(es), email address, telephone contact details
- Current governorships (type of governor, any positions held on the governing body and term of office)
- Previous governorships (type of governor, any positions held on the governing body, terms of office served and reasons for resignations/suspensions)
- Training records ( of attendance at LA organised/commissioned training events)
- Signed Declaration of Eligibility forms
- Information provided by individuals as part of an application form to facilitate the Authority Governor appointment procedure
Why we use this data
We use this data to:
- Comply with the law regarding Section 72 of the Education and Inspections Act 2006
- Comply with the School Governance (Constitution)(England) Regulations 2012
- Provide appropriate statutory advice and guidance
- Deliver governor advice, guidance, information and training through a traded service
Our legal basis for using this data
We only collect and use governors’ personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we process it where:
- We need to comply with a legal obligation (see above)
- We provide governor advice, guidance, information and training
Collecting this information
The information we collect about governors is provided by either the school involved, the Clerk to Governors or individual governors/prospective governors.
How we store this data
We keep the personal information about governors while they are a governor at a Leicester City school. This is stored secure on IT and manual systems. We may also keep it beyond their governorship if this is necessary in order to comply with our legal obligations.
We do not share information about governors with any third party without consent unless the law and other valid obligations require us to do so.
Where it is legally required or necessary (and it complies with data protection law) we may share personal information about governors with:
- Leicester City schools where the governor is or has been a governor.
- Other LA departments/services where appropriate
- The Department for Education
- Appropriate regulators - Ofsted , Regional Schools’ Commissioner
- Central and local government
Under data protection law, individuals have certain rights regarding how their personal data is used and kept safe, including the:
- Right to Access
- Right to Rectification
- Right to Erasure
- Right to Restriction
- Right to Data Portability
- Right to Object
- Right to Complain
All requests exercised must be made in writing and must be responded to within 1 month by the Council. There is no charge to exercise these rights in most cases although an administrative charge may be levied where a large amount of information is involved.
To exercise any of these rights, please view the Council’s main Privacy notice or contact our data protection officer:
We take any complaints about our collection and use of personal information very seriously.
If you think that our collection or use of personal information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate, or have any other concern about our data processing, please raise this with us in the first instance.
To make a complaint, please contact our data protection officer.
Alternatively, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office:
- Report a concern online at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
- Call 0303 123 1113
- Or write to: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
If you have any questions, concerns or would like more information about anything mentioned in this privacy notice, please contact our data protection officer:
Data Protection Officer
Information Governance & Risk
4th Floor, Rutland Wing
115 Charles Street
Please consider the environment.