Special education service
Welcome to the Special Education Service. The Special Education Service administers the statutory processes for the identification and assessment for children and young people (aged 0 -25 years) with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).
In addition, the service:
- Acts as the local authority’s admissions authority for children and young people with statements of SEN and Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans and commissioning new placements as required
- Completes the annual review of SEN statements and EHC Plans and actions recommendations from these as appropriate.
- Undertakes the conversion of existing statements of SEN and Learning Difficulty Assessments to EHC plans as appropriate
- Administers the local authority’s SEND transport policy for determining SEND transport for individual children and young people as appropriate
- Administers the local authority’s process for providing top up funding for children and young people with SEND but without an EHC Plan.
- Administers the finance arrangements for SEND provision as appropriate.
- Collects, maintains and provides data returns to support monitoring, planning and commissioning for children and young people with SEND and provides SEND information for a variety of data returns and information enquires.
Special Education Service, 1st Floor, 10 York Road, Leicester, LE1 5TS
Telephone: 0116 454 2050
Fax: 0116 229 4369