SEND travel assistance
Information for schools to support families requiring SEND travel assistance.
SEND travel consultation outcome
A statutory consultation was carried out between 25 October 2021 and 16 January 2022 where Leicester City Council consulted with a wide audience on proposed updates to the current SEND travel policy for children and young people up to the age of 16 years, and those with SEND attending post-16 education
On 5 April 2022, the council confirmed the decision to implement the updates in full by the 25 August 2022
The updated policies outline:
- The council’s responsibility to encourage, enable, support and assist young people with additional needs to participate in education and training
- The council’s commitment to support children and young people to develop their independence, enabling them to prepare for adulthood
- How the council will meet its obligations to provide home to school and college travel to children and young people with Special Education Needs and/or Disabilities, living in Leicester who are eligible to receive it. The policy also gives advice on the support available and the commitment to encourage independent travel to and from school or college.
SEND travel policy
- Home to school and college travel policy (SEND) 2022/2023 [pdf file]
- Post-16 travel policy statement including SEND 2022/2023 [pdf file]
Personal transport budgets
A personal transport budget (PTB) is funding to help parents get their child to school or college.
It allows parents to make flexible travel arrangements rather than travelling on a vehicle contracted by the council. A PTB is not a short-term alternative while a transport application is being processed.
Schools should signpost parents to: families.leicester.gov.uk/personaltransportbudget
Schools who have any queries can contact: email@example.com
Letter to parents around personal transport budgets
At the end of January 2021, Martin Samuels, Strategic Director, Social Care and Education wrote to all parents and carers of children with an Education Health and Care plan who uses transport organised by Leicester City Council.
Application form for SEND transport
Th application form for SEND transport is now live. The form has two purposes and splits accordingly to what type of transport is required, which are:
- Personal transport budgets – where parents and carers opt to manage the child’s transportation arrangements
- Assisted transport – where transportation is organised by the city council
Please consider the environment.