Induction of new governors
A short summary of the induction process for a new governor within a governing body.
Helping new governors
New governors receive a formal letter of appointment and some general information on being a governor (including the NGA trigger pack for new governors) from the governor services team.
In addition, your school/governing body should include the following items in your school’s induction procedure:
- A welcome telephone call from the chair of governors and/or headteacher, giving information about the time and date of the next meeting and the contact point for further information;
- The opportunity to meet the Headteacher and to visit the school during the working day;
- The offer of a mentor. This would ideally be an experienced member of the governing body who would help the new governor in the early stages;
- An introduction of the new governor at the first formal meeting and support from the chair to help a new governor participate in the business of the meeting;
- Introductory information about the school and the workings of the governing body.
Checklist of information for new governors
- The names of other members of the governing body
- The contact details of the clerk to governors
- Your latest school prospectus
- Your latest school profile
- A calendar of meeting dates for the coming year
- The minutes of your last 3 governing body meetings
- Details of the governing body ‘s working practices (eg committee structures etc)
- Committee membership details
- A copy of the latest DfE “Guide to the Law”
- The Instrument of government for your school
- The latest version of the School improvement plan
- Your most recent OFSTED inspection and action plans
- Information on where to access school policies
Please consider the environment.