Skip to content
Schools' Extranet support

Please call us on 0116 454 1120 or email: schools.extranet@leicester.gov.uk.

×
Household support fund

is open for referrals from 16 May to 4 September 2022. The grant is funded by the government to support people most in need of help with rising living costs. Schools will act as lead referrers. Find out more

×
In this section
  • News
  • Record number of pupils receive offers of a city secondary school

Record number of pupils receive offers of a city secondary school

THOUSANDS of children across the city will be offered places at secondary schools today (Tuesday 1 March) – with a record number of children being offered a year 7 place at a city school.

Further information

Today – 1 March – is National Offer Day, when children up and down the country learn which secondary school they will attend for the 2022/23 academic year.

In Leicester, 4,725 city residents applied for a secondary school place. Of those, 3,987 (84.4%) gained a place at their first-choice school. A further 367 (7.8%) got their second preference, 85 (1.8%) their third preference and 40 (0.8%) their fourth preference.

In total, 94.8% were offered a place at one of their top four schools, with the remaining 5.2% offered alternative places.

Every applicant who applied on time was offered a place at a school.

A record number of applicants (4,358) were offered a place at a Leicester city secondary school. This is the sixth consecutive year of increasing numbers of applicants being granted places at city schools, up from 3,541 in 2016.

Cllr Elly Cutkelvin, assistant city mayor for education, said: “I’m really pleased to see that the vast majority of applicants – 94.8 % – gained a place at one of their preferred schools, with most getting their first choice.

“We know starting secondary school can be an anxious time for families, and we do all we can to make the applications process as straightforward as possible while meeting demand.

“Despite making a record number of offers of places within city secondary schools, we have made sure that, once again, no-one who applies on time is without a place.”

90% of parents made an online application, meaning they can view their results online on offer day, rather than having to wait for a letter to be posted out to them.

 

 

Academic Year 2020/21

Academic year 2021/22

Academic year 2022/23

Total number of applications from city residents

4793

4748

4725

1st preference met

4053

3986

3987

2nd preference met

387

388

367

3rd preference met

106

105

85

4th preference met

29

25

40

Any preference met

4575

4504

4479

Alternative Offers

218

244

246

No offers

0

0

0

% Preference met

Academic Year 2020/21

Academic Year 2020/21

Academic year 2022/23

1st preference met

84.6%

84.0%

84.4%

2nd preference met

8.1%

8.2%

7.8%

3rd preference met

2.2%

2.2%

1.8%

4th preference met

0.6%

0.5%

0.8%

Any preference met

95.4%

94.9%

94.8%

Alternative Offers

4.6%

5.1%

5.2%

No offers

0%

0%

0%

 

Academic Year 2020/21

Academic year 2021/22

Academic year 2022/23

Total number of places offered at city schools

4262

4310

4358

% of city places offered to city residents

97.0%

96.4%

96.3%

% of city places offered to non-city residents

3.0%

3.6%

3.7%

 

Please consider the environment.