High needs block funding for pupils in mainstream settings
Consultation on changes within the high needs block funding for pupils in mainstream settings Leicester City.
Leicester City Council are consulting with children and young people, parents/carers, colleagues and mainstream education settings on the funding that is awarded to support children and young people with SEND.
In April 2021, we engaged with a wide audience to consider how this funding can deliver the best outcomes for our children and young people and as a result of the engagement we are proposing changes to the way this funding is allocated.
The proposed change to the funding model is part of our consultation process which started on 8 September 2021. The consultation proposes to end the distribution of funding based on the additional SEND top up and instead allocate more funding to the banded rates. These new banded rates will be awarded based solely on the individual needs of children and young people. Please take the time to read the supporting documentation and have your say.
Why your views matter
We are seeking the views of parents, mainstream school representatives and forums on the proposed changes. The proposed funding arrangements are not intended to reduce the overall level of funding available for high needs pupils within the mainstream schools. However, there will be a significant change in the distribution of funding to schools under this proposed fairer funding methodology.
Have your say by 8 December 2021.
Visit: Mainstream school funding for SEND consultation to find out more.
Supporting documents for schools and education settings
- Letter to parents [pdf file]
- Appendix 4 - Charts of details of current distribution of funding [pdf file]
- Appendix 5 - Illustration of the correlation of notional SEND budget [pdf file]
- Appendix 6 - Other LA's methodology [pdf file]
- Appendix 7 - The argument against using the notional SEND budget [pdf file]
- Appendix 8 - Revised banding methodology [pdf file]
- Appendix 9 - Comparison of total high needs funding [pdf file]
- Appendix 10 - Chart of comparison of total high needs funding using current and proposed formula [pdf file]
- Appendix 17 - Element 3 frequently asked questions [pdf file]
Please consider the environment.