Leicester City Council has a dedicated Environmental Education Coordinator based in the Environment Team who works with schools to help them become more sustainable in all that they do.
Environmental Education Coordinator, Leicester City Council
As well as one to one support, schools are able to engage through termly #EcoTeachmeets, staff training, resource planning & workshops, an annual Eco-Schools conference & celebration event and keep up to date through a dedicated Twitter account, monthly eBulletins and termly newsletters.
The Eco-Schools programme provides exciting opportunities for students in curriculum time as well as outside the classroom. Learning outside of the classroom (LOTC) has been identified as ‘memorable activities leading to memorable learning and positively contributing to pupil safety’. LOTC provides positive benefits to all groups of young people and supports a rich, relevant, broad and balanced curriculum.
Schools are encouraged to sign up for the Eco-Schools Award. There are 3 levels of award: Bronze, Silver and Green Flag.
- Introduction and benefits of the Eco-Schools programme
- Establish and work with your Eco-Team
- Assemblies to launch your Eco-Team and environmental activities
- Advice and information on going for the Bronze, Silver and Green Flag Award
- Pursue grants and funding opportunities
- Put you in contact with other organisations that can help
Global Goals this project supports
- 11 – Sustainable Cities and Communities
- 13 – Climate Change
- 17 – Partnerships for the Goals, and many others
For more information please visit the Sustainable Schools section of the extranet.
Please consider the environment.