Grow Your Own Grub 2020
**Cancelled until spring term 2021** Combining creative culinary skills and gardening, your school is challenged to design a three course menu and grow a minimum of 5 ingredients in your Mealbarrow (a wheelbarrow is provided if you don’t already have one) along with your own growing area. Finally, showcase your wheelbarrow at Abbey Pumping Station at a celebration day.
Grow Your Own Grub Competition
- Raise awareness of healthy eating and cooking in your school. Use as part of your Food for Life and Eco-Schools Awards
- Opportunity to showcase food growing in a city wide school competition
- Enter the Mealbarrow competition for an opportunity of first, second or third place
- Receive recognition with Bronze, Silver or Gold Grow your Own Grub Award for published criteria on your extended growing area
- Attend training
- Collect your wheelbarrow (where needed) and compost - available at the training event. Schools will need to purchase their own seeds and/or plug plants
- Design and submit a healthy menu
- Grow at least 5 of your ingredients in the Mealbarrow
- Deliver and collect the Mealbarrow from the celebration location
- Host the judging team during your site visit to view your Mealbarrow and extended growing area (where available)
- Keep the wheelbarrow for next year or return to Leicester City Council
Supports your Eco-Schools healthy living, school grounds and biodiversity topics & Food for Life Award criteria.
For details, email GrowYourOwnGrub@leicester.gov.uk
Please consider the environment.