Grow Your Own Grub 2019
Combining creative culinary skills and gardening, your school is challenged to design a three course menu and grow a minimum of 5 ingredients in your Mealbarrow (a wheelbarrow is provided if you don’t already have one) along with your own growing area. Finally, showcase your wheelbarrow at Evington Park at a celebration day on Saturday 29 June 2019
Leicester’s Mealbarrow Extravaganza…incorporating the Grow Your Own Grub Competition
Training course: Wednesday 27 February 2019 1pm-4pm
Graceworks, URC, The Common, Leicester LE5 6EA
Light refreshments will be provided
- Raise awareness of healthy eating and cooking in your school. Use as part of your Food for Life and Eco-Schools Awards
- Opportunity to showcase food growing in a city wide school competition
- Enter the Mealbarrow competition for an opportunity of first, second or third place
- Receive recognition with Bronze, Silver or Gold Grow your Own Grub Award for published criteria on your extended growing area
- Attend training in February 2019
- Collect your wheelbarrow (where needed) and compost - available at the training event on 27 February 2019. Schools will need to purchase their own seeds and/or plug plants
- Design and submit a healthy menu by 31 May 2019
- Grow at least 5 of your ingredients in the Mealbarrow
- Deliver and collect the Mealbarrow from Evington Park for the celebration day - Saturday 29 June 2019
- Host the judging team during your site visit to view your Mealbarrow and extended growing area (where available) Visits will be arranged for between 17-21 June 2019.
- Keep the wheelbarrow for next year or return to Leicester City Council
Supports your Eco-Schools healthy living, school grounds and biodiversity topics & Food for Life Award criteria.
Deadline for entries is Friday 7 December 2018 and will be filled on a first come basis
Email GrowYourOwnGrub@leicester.gov.uk as soon as possible to confirm
Please consider the environment.