Carbon literacy project
Carbon Literacy: “An awareness of the carbon dioxide costs and impacts of everyday activities, and the ability and motivation to reduce emissions, on an individual, community and organisational basis.”
In February 2019, Leicester City Council declared a climate emergency. We are working to develop a climate emergency programme of action to reduce carbon with aim of the city becoming zero carbon.
In order to raise awareness through the community of Leicester we intend to use the Carbon Literacy Project as a way of accrediting university students and school staff to become carbon literate trainers who will deliver training to school students within the city.
The Carbon Literacy Trust states on their website over 10,000 individuals are carbon literate. This project would have at least 2100 people trained.
Training offer for school students
Our focus is two year groups - Y5 in primary/juniors and Y8 in secondary, however other year groups can be considered.
The training takes place during a normal school day and a whole class can participate at once. The training will be
delivered by Lee and Amy along with university students from DMU and the University of Leicester.You just need
to provide a classroom and access to ICT.
The sessions will take place in the 2020/21 academic year.
Carbon literacy training for school staff and governors
In order to raise awareness through the community of Leicester we are using the Carbon Literacy Project as a way of accrediting school staff and students to become carbon literate. This equivalent one-day course will enable participants to be carbon Literate and support them deliver their own course back in school. Following the success of our recent virtual courses we are hosting another starting in October 2021 on the following dates:
- Monday 4 October, 4.30 – 6.30 pm
- Monday 11 October, 4.30 – 6.30 pm
- Monday 25 October, 4.30 – 6.30 pm
(You must attend all sessions to pass)
- Gain a better understanding of how climate change will affect you and those around you
- Become an accredited Carbon Literate individual
- Acquire knowledge and skills to develop your own responses to lowering your carbon footprint, and the carbon footprint of others
- Gain knowledge of delivering a course about basic climate change science to your students
- Help to enable students to become carbon literate
- Attend all three training online training events in October 2021
- Complete feedback about your experience
- Create at least one significant action, as an individual, to reduce your own personal carbon footprint
- Create at least one significant action involving other people to reduce the collective footprint of your workplace, community or place of education
- Encourage your school to participate in carbon literacy either by delivering training yourself or arranging for Leicester City Council to deliver in-house (at a future date to be confirmed)
How to book
We will also be hosting courses in January and May 2020, details to be confirmed.
Please consider the environment.